Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Old Country


Prague, what can't be said about a city that survived WWII without a scratch. It is a city rich in every sense of the word. It's Gothic architecture stares down upon you every street you walk down. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Even the graffiti can't mar it's beauty. Every building has some group of angels or warriors watching over you. You either feel safe or you get a bit paranoid. The street heading into Old town and Prague castle, are littered with people. Though a different type, or maybe I'm different now. If you go down any other block sans the one heading to old town/Prague castle, you would think you are the only person in the world, last person on the planet feel. I love it, but I needed something else, something more...
I met a group of women here who like to meditate out in nature. Wow, what luck huh? I asked them where they were going to meditate, their response, the Bohemian forest. What? really? The Bohemian forest. Isn't that a place of legend? Yes, it is. On my journey out of the city I thought, "am I really going to meditate in a forest with women I don't know? What is wrong with you, you could get..." the thought ended there, for coming up over a hill was the most beautiful tree line I have ever seen! I just smiled and let the feeling run free.
We arrived in the town of Cesky Krumlov, in southern Bohemia. When I got out the van I felt an immediate sense of right. This is where I should be, the trees, the air, the smell of fresh flowers and the sighting of a bear. Yes, a bear. It just scampered off after I looked at it and nodded and gave a smile. I felt that everything wanted me, no needed me to be here. We walked for a bit until we came to a lovely clearing. We sat and jenny lead the meditation. On that day we became one with mother earth. we sent love and kindness to all, we connected to all around us, and it was beautiful. I was and am at peace...

Today is July the 10th. I leave this magical city Monday. As I walked today to get some groceries I saw something that made me stop, and stop hard. it was a blind man being lead by his wife? At first I didn't understand why I was so taken with him. Then it made sense. How does he view this city? this magical land of mystery a land you can just imagine a knight riding through the town. How can he appreciate all this visual beauty? I felt sorrow for him, felt like he was missing out on the best part of a movie. But as he passed he laughed at the woman who's arm he was holding, a laugh that I could see! It was beautiful. I smiled, and the woman said to him "she just smiled at you." He smiled in my general direction and wished me a beautiful day. I wished him and her a good day. I couldn't stop thinking that he was missing out on something, but no he is not. See, we see with our eyes and judge with them, he sees with his heart and judges not. I have learned more from that one encounter with that blind man than I did during my meditation in the forest. For you see in the forest I was sending out love and kindness and compassion, and wishing people beautiful days filled with vibrant images of love and life. Not once did I think of the blind or deaf or others who suffer with various ailments, who live on this planet. I did not once wish them good sounds and good vibrations, not a thought of sitting with a blind man and telling him how green the grass really is, or how clear the water can be.

I'm ever learning and I'm grateful to all who are willing to teach me.
next stop Brussels.

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing and interesting what we are offered to evaluate in order to "see" the presence of Divinity in our path. The blind man (so much like that of Milton's Poem On his blindness) brings the message of love and understanding even within what we may perceive as an adversity or weakness. Your story is rich two fold and your state of being present and aware is a driving force to what we all need to see. Prague is indeed mystical and beautiful and more now through your eyes. I long for that Forest, glad you shared it with us. See you in Brussels.

    ReplyDelete